Custom Search

Wednesday, May 31, 2006

Unity08 and 2006 Elections

Having a third party is a major mistake for the country. It has been shown over and over again that when a third party runs it takes more votes from the Democrats than it will from the Republican’s and tosses the election squarely in the Republican’s favor. Just from my own perspective I do not want to get used to saying President Frist or Mccain?

This Unity08 that was talked about on the Washington Post is one of those ideas that on paper sounds pretty good but in practice is a disaster. It sounds like it would draw the middle of the isle democrats that are not willing to be as extreme left as the party sometime is referred to as. I’m sure Ralph I’m stealing this election from the Democrats Nader will run with his Purple People eater party and draw the extreme liberal Democrats away too. Just off the top of my head the numbers are not looking to good. I can see some Republicans drawn to it but I think they would be more likely to loose interest in the election and simply not vote rather than vote against the party. Given all the corruption from the select Republican’s that we have seen so far it is going to be a toss up if the disenfranchised Republican’s would vote Democrat or go with this Unity 08 party?

Somebody out there is going to have to come up with a somewhat accurate equation and formula to figure this all out because it’s giving me a headache.

Papamoka
AddThis Social Bookmark Button

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I've spent some time on the website and have become intrigued by the idea. Quite frankly, I can't remember a time that our country has been at a higher level of disgust with both parties, or a time when we more desperately needed to be talking about the issues that matter most, like alternative sources of energy and immigration- rather than Terri Schaivo and abortion. There are enough Americans who realize this to make Unity08 far more than a spoiler. The fact of the matter is that we can't do any worse than we're doing now. I say give this a shot.

1:28 PM  
Blogger Papamoka said...

I'm still anti third party buy I'm going to check them out further before I say anymore. Thanks for the feedback.

5:27 PM  
Blogger Steve said...

I guess the question isn't whether there can be a third party, as there are plenty of parties beyond Republican and Democrat, but rather, can there be a viable third party that can appeal to enough voters to actually win, rather than take enough votes from one of the major parties to help the other major party win?

I'm intrigued by the possibility of a third party, and I would personally support a moderate party conditionally. I won't throw my support to any one party, because no one party matches what I look for in this country.

8:50 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home