Custom Search

Thursday, May 24, 2007

THE GLOBAL WAR ON TRUTH

Contributed by Michael Linn Jones

Having become somewhat accustomed to a constant feeling of nausea, I was thrown off by the realiization that it was passing. So, in order to rectify this, I listened to Rush Limbaugh for a while today. It doesn't take much, but something he said stuck with me. It starts at one point but can race off in several directions.

The Great Bloviator made the statement that liberals were aiding and abetting terrorists by ciriticizing President Bush. It is wartime, and to question or criticize is tantamount to treachery. According to that logic, should I pose the question: "Is George W. Bush capable of pouring piss out of a boot with the instructions printed on the heel?"....I am encouraging terrorists to attack us. I am apparently giving carte blanche to Bin Laden and his lunatic band of murderers.

As the saying goes, I may as well be hung for a sheep as a lamb. So I will proceed with this 'aiding and abetting.' One of the great dangers of warfare is how it changes the nations involved in it. Never in history has a nation been the same at the end of a conflict as it was at the beginning. So, how is George's War changing us? To continue to refer to it as the Iraq War is a misnomer. It is George's War, pure and simple. He wanted it; he got it, despite any information or advice to the contrary. He steamrolled over any opposition inside or outside the goverment to get what he wanted.

In so doing, he declared this "global war on terror." If we don't fight them in Iraq we'll have to fight them here, blah, blah, blah. The six terrorists arrested for plotting an attack on Ft. Dix is a good case in point. It doesn't really matter when they entered this country, but three of them entered the U.S. VIA THE MEXICAN BORDER. That is so impolite to say, as it might imply that a porous border could be used by terrorists. There is no doubt about it and to pretend otherwise is spitting in the face of the oaths these oafs took to protect the people of the United States.

But I digress. I meant to talk about my own culpability in this. This is hard for me to do as I voted against Bush twice, and for very good reasons as it turned out. Unlike our current president, no one will attribute to me the statement that "the constitution is nothing but a goddamned piece of paper." Nor have I stood in a room full of the richest people in America and declared that the haves and have-mores are my "base." Nor have I rushed through legislation that flies in the face of the very reason our republic was founded and have the gall to refer to it as a "Patriot" act.

Gagging, I turned off the radio. Rush is great if you're bulemic. After the spin and hype and repetition of the Bush non-doctrine, I thought of a pie. A very small slice is quite rich and tasty. But 95% of it tastes like....well....

I thought of calling Rush and reminding him of the old adage: "Don't go stepping in the stuff you're trying to sell us."

Labels: , , , , , , , , , , ,

AddThis Social Bookmark Button

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home